How do I know what jobs are available?

Visit the employment section of our web site to view a list of Employment Opportunities.

How do I apply for jobs? 

Once you have a completed and approved application on file, you will receive email notification from Human Resources. You may then begin applying for positions for which you are qualified. The job listings have a contact person you will call if you are interested in applying for that position.

What is "out of field"?

A teacher is considered "out of field" when he is not certified to teach the subject he is assigned. For instance, a teacher who is certified in social studies is qualified to teach any subject in this area. If he chooses to teach math, he is now considered out of field. If a teacher is teaching out of field he must gain certification by taking appropriate course work or successfully completing the appropriate Subject Area Exam (SAE). 

How long does my application stay on file?

Application are kept on file for one (1) year, at which time it is the responsibility of the applicant to contact the Department of Human Resources to request that his/her application remain active.

Who will interview me?

Interviews are usually conducted by the person who supervises the position being advertised. For instance, if it is a school-based position the applicant will usually interview with the principal and/or assistant principal. Sometimes other employees are involved in the interviewing process.

How do I get certified?

Once hired for a teaching position, our Human Resources Department is here to help you every step of the way. Every individual is unique. If you graduated from a state approved teaching program, a five (5) year certificate will be granted. If this is not the case, you will most likely apply for a three year temporary certificate. During the first year of employment, you will need to take and pass the General Knowledge Test. In addition, during the initial three year temporary certification period you will complete the Subject Area Exam (SAE) for the area for which you have been certified, the Professional Knowledge Test, and any other requirements the Florida Department of Education deems necessary.