District School Board of Pasco County Notice of Social Security Number Disclosure
Section 119.071(5)(a)2.-4., Florida Statutes requires agencies to notify individuals of the purpose(s) that require the collection of Social Security numbers. The District School Board of Pasco County collects social security numbers (SSNs) for the following purposes:
- The Internal Revenue Service and Social Security Administration require a Social Security number on a Form W-4, that is used to determine how much federal withholding tax is to be collected and Federal Insurance Contribution Act (FICA) tax on wages paid and later reported in a W-2 Wage and Tax Statement.
- The Internal Revenue Service requires a Taxpayer Identification Number on Form W-9 which could be a Social Security or an Employer Identification number that could be used to generate a 1099 Miscellaneous Income Statement based on expenditures processed through accounts payable. Vendors with Social Security numbers are captured in the Vendor Application process.
- The TERMS Human Resources/Finance software program requires use of Social Security numbers as the primary personal identification of employees for wages, leaves, payroll deductions, etc.
- Social Security numbers are also used as identifiers for processing fingerprints with the Federal Bureau of Investigation and the Florida Department of Law Enforcement.
- Social Security numbers are requested by the National School Lunch Act from parents on the free or reduced price meal application and household verification process as part of determining a family’s eligibility for their child(ren) for free or reduced price meals.
- Social Security numbers for employees and dependents are required for enrollment in health insurance, life insurance, and other miscellaneous insurances.
- Social Security numbers are used by the Florida Department of Education as a standardized identification number for the required reporting of yearly certification and training information.
- Social Security numbers are required by the Florida Division of Retirement to report earnings used to document creditable years of service in the Florida Retirement System.
- The District telephone system requires the use of employee Social Security numbers to track long distance calls and to allow access for substitutes to use the “sub dialer”.
- Social Security numbers are used by the Florida Department of Education as a standardized identification number to track students from year to year and when they move from one school or county to another. Social Security numbers are used for students in grades 10 through 12 as identifiers for colleges and scholarship programs such as Bright Futures. For students in grades Pre-Kindergarten through 12, Social Security numbers are used as identifiers for enrollment and attendance, funding reports (such as FTE), tracking of achievement gains, and standardized testing such as FCAT. Student Social Security numbers are included in all Florida Department of Education required reporting.
- For adult students and approved GED Exit Option students taking the GED exam for graduation purposes, social security numbers are used by the Florida Department of Education as a standardized identification number to track students.
The District School Board of Pasco County will not use a student’s social security number for the purpose of identifying
The Social Security numbers of all current and former employees are confidential and exempt from s. 119.07(1)
and s. 24(a), Art. I of the State Constitution.