This course will meet an academic elective requirement.
Principal Approved Assessment
See placement considerations here.
Creative Writing 1
Next Course in Progression:
Creative Writing 3 Honors
The purpose of this course is to enable students to develop and use grade 11-12 writing and language skills for creative expression in a variety of literary forms. Studying and modeling a variety of genres will be emphasized at this level of creative writing.
The content should include, but not be limited to, the following:
- examination of a variety of short literary collections, including poetry, which includes a variety of professional, peer, and/or teacher examples in order to examine
- text craft and structure, including line length and placement
- effects of figurative, denotative, and connotative language choice
- power and impact of appropriate voice and/or tone
- story structure, sentence structure, and grammatical choices
- reciprocal nature of content and form in development of a personal style
- writing for varied purposes and in varied genres, including
- personal and dramatic narratives
- various poetic forms
- screenplays and multimedia productions
- multi-genre and creative non-fiction selections
- digital writing platforms
- effective listening, speaking, and viewing strategies with emphasis on the use of evidence to support or refute a claim in multimedia presentations, class discussions, and extended text discussions
- collaboration amongst peers, especially regarding peer reviews of multiple drafts