This post was published on 02/06/2020.
There is currently no vaccine to prevent 2019-nCoV infection. The best way to prevent infection is to avoid being exposed to this virus. However, here are a few other ways you can keep your family healthy and help prevent the spread of viruses, including:
- Wash your hands often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds. If soap and water are not available, use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer.
- Keep your kids away from others who are sick or keep them home if they are ill.
- Teach kids to cough and sneeze into their arm or elbow, not their hands.
- Clean and disinfect household objects and surfaces in your home.
- Avoid travel to highly infected areas of China.
Families are also encouraged to stay up to date about this situation as we learn more about how to prevent this virus from spreading in homes and in communities.
For more information visit Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and HealthyChildren.org.