Student use of any of the Pasco network resources (i.e., computers, electronic mail, conferences, bulletin boards, databases, and access to the Internet), referred to as "the network" requires the student to follow the Electronic Network Use Guidelines for Students. Inappropriate use of the network will result in disciplinary action by school officials. The network is to be used in a responsible, efficient, ethical, and legal manner in accordance with the educational objectives of the District School Board of Pasco County. Students accessing the network are responsible for all online activities that take place through the network connection. When using another organization's network or computing resources to access the Internet, the student must also comply with the rules appropriate for that network.
With the use of the Electronic network, including the Internet, comes the potential availability of material that may not be considered to be of educational value in the context of the school setting. However, the value of information, interaction, and research capabilities outweighs the possibility that users may obtain material that is not consistent with the educational goals of the district. Although student use of the network while at school will be supervised by staff, we encourage parents to have a discussion with their children about how their shared beliefs should guide student activities while using the Internet and the network, as well as Internet safety issues. More information regarding Internet safety may be found at http://www.safeflorida.net/safesurf.
Students shall have no expectation of privacy while using the network. Safety of students when using network services such as electronic mail, chat rooms, and any form of direct electronic communication is critical. Confidential information must be safeguarded. Each user has the responsibility of ensuring that confidentiality of data is maintained through all network activities. In addition to adult supervision, school system officials can review e-mail, files, and other network communication in order to maintain system integrity and insure users are using the system responsibly. The District School Board of Pasco County will not be responsible for unauthorized costs incurred by students, nor will the district vouch for the accuracy of information obtained through the Internet, nor will the district be responsible for students' negligence or misuse of the network.
Acceptable Uses of the Network
- all activities which support the mission, vision, and curriculum of the District School Board of Pasco County
Unacceptable Uses of the Network
Unacceptable uses include, but are not limited to:
- using or communicating with others who are using impolite, abusive, or objectionable language.
- exhibiting harassing or bullying behavior as defined by the District School Board of Pasco County's Bullying and Harrassment policy (5517.01) and Florida Statute 1006.147.
- using the network in ways that violate federal, state, or local laws.
- activities which cause congestion of the network or otherwise interfere with the work of others.
- using the network for commercial or financial gain.
- sending or receiving copyrighted materials without permission.
- using the network for sending or retrieving offensive or obscene materials.
- circumventing security and/or authentication measures.
- unauthorized access to another's resources, programs, or data.
- vandalizing network resources, including the uploading or creation of computer viruses.
- falsifying one's identity to others while using the network.
- installation and/or use of unauthorized software or devices on the computer networks.
- modifying data, programs, or other information on computer networks without the consent of the owner(s).
- use of network resources to commit forgery, or to create a forged instrument.
I have read the Electronic Network Use Guidelines for Students and I understand and agree to abide by the principles and guidelines they contain. I know that:
- the school district has the right to restrict material for legitimate educational reasons.
- network and school administrators may review e-mail and electronic transmissions to maintain system integrity and to monitor the system for inappropriate use.
- any data stored on a district computer, server or other storage medium is not private.
- passwords and other security measures are to be used responsibly and not shared with others.
- the school district is not responsible for any costs that occur from inappropriate or unauthorized use of the network or network resources.
- information retrieved from the Internet may not be accurate.
- I should discuss with my parent(s) or guardian(s) how I use the Internet.
- I am responsible for using the network and electronic resources properly.
- misuse of the network or computer equipment or violations of these guidelines may result in disciplinary actions according to the Code of Student Conduct and the Bullying and Harassment policy (5517.01).