Wednesday, September 27, 2017
Update: Pasco Schools Convenes Student Congress
Land O’ Lakes, FL – (September 27, 2017) – Pasco County Schools high schools have appointed two students each to a new Student Leadership Congress to give students a voice in implementing change in schools countywide. Their next meeting is from 1 p.m. to 3 p.m. on Wednesday, October 4, at Building 2 Oak Room at the District Office Complex in Land O’ Lakes.
The overarching goal of the Congress is to promote innovative idea sharing and to challenge student leaders to create actionable steps to implement positive change in their schools in collaboration with their principals. Some schools have already implemented change based on ideas the students shared at their first meeting this summer during the Together We Stand Youth and Community Summit.
One that is most impactful is from River Ridge High School. Based on the ideas shared by other schools and the dialogue shared at the Congress, the principal returned to her school with her student leaders and immediately began revamping student government.
Other ideas schools replicated centered around student engagement and recognition:
· Allowing seniors to paint their parking spaces for enhanced connectedness to the school
· Placing yard signs in the front yards of students to recognize them for high achievement on FSA and Advanced Placement exams
· Using a bull horn and confetti to recognize teachers and students
The agenda topics for the September 13 meeting include:
· Unity Day overview/success at Zephyrhills High School
· Drug/alcohol/safety discussion surrounding homecoming activities
· Innovative ways to support Red Ribbon Week
· Feedback on the Safety Pledge implementation and ways to reinforce the message throughout the year
· Strategies to improve school attendance, student promotion, and graduation
Building 2 Oak Room is located at 7227 Land O’ Lakes Boulevard, in Land O' Lakes.