Thursday, September 21, 2017
No Make-Up Days for Pasco Schools; Schools Adjusting Schedules to Make Up for Hurricane Days
Land O’ Lakes, FL – (September 21, 2017) – After receiving confirmation from the Florida commissioner of education that the state is forgiving the two days Governor Rick Scott ordered all Florida schools closed for Hurricane Irma, Pasco County Schools leaders have determined that the other four hurricane days can be made up without cancelling planned days off. We will not have school any day during Thanksgiving week and no days will be added to the end of the school year.
A total of 11 schools are adjusting their bell schedules to add additional student contact minutes for the rest of the year. Most schools had enough student contact time built into their schedules to meet statutory requirements and do not have to make any adjustments.
Those schools that are adding time to class schedules are doing so by having shorter passing time between classes, reducing the length of home room, or starting earlier or dismissing later. None of these changes take any teacher below the contractual minimums for weekly planning time, daily planning periods, or daily lunch time.
Following is a summary of the changes, which are effective Monday, September 25:
1) Ridgewood High School – Decreasing lunch passing by 2 minutes and adding that time to first period.
2) JW Mitchell High School – Starting 2 minutes earlier (8:28 a.m.).
3) Sunlake High School – Starting 2 minutes earlier (7:28 a.m.).
4) Wiregrass Ranch High School – Starting 2 minutes earlier (7:23 a.m.).
5) Pasco High School – Starting 5 minutes earlier (7:30 a.m.) and dismissing 3 minutes later (1:58 p.m.).
6) Hudson Middle School – Taking 1 minute from homeroom and adding it to the academic schedule.
7) Weightman Middle School – Taking 2 minutes from homeroom and adding it to the academic schedule.
8) Centennial Middle School – Starting 5 minutes earlier (8:35 a.m.) and taking 3 minutes from homeroom to add to the academic schedule.
9) Bayonet Point Middle School – Starting 3 minutes earlier (8:37 a.m.) and dismissing 3 minutes later (2:53 p.m.).
10) Rushe Middle School – Adjusting homeroom and lunch periods to increase instructional time by 8 minutes.
11) Marchman Technical College – Starting 5 minutes earlier (7:45 a.m.) and dismissing 10 minutes later (2 p.m.).
Individual schools will notify their students, teachers, and staff of their adjusted bell schedule.
If we have to cancel any additional school days this year, it is likely that the time will have to be made up by adding school days during Thanksgiving week or at the end of the school year.