Wednesday, April 25, 2012
Engineering Students Sponsor Creative Catapult Contest
The River Ridge High School Engineering Academy is sponsoring its first annual Spring Fling Catapult Contest. Participants will be asked to build a catapult that will throw a water balloon as far as possible. This exciting event will be held at River Ridge High School on May 2, 2012, at 6:00 p.m. The competition is open to catapult enthusiasts of all ages. Teams are allowed. To register, submit a completed application and registration fee to the address below prior to Friday, April 27, 2012.
Attn: Catapult Contest
11646 Town Center Road
New Port Richey, FL 34654
The proceeds of this competition will be used to directly support the River Ridge High School Engineering Academy. Additionally, students hope to raise awareness of the Academy and the exciting, hands-on learning opportunities that are available to all Pasco County students through participation in the Academy.
- No ready-made kits. Each catapult must be designed, constructed, and launched by contestants.
- No part of the catapult can extend over six feet at rest.
- All catapults will be launched in the high school bus parking lot. They must sit on the ground.
- The catapult cannot be staked to the ground.
- All catapults will fling water balloons provided by RRHS Academy of Engineering.
- Catapults must have a triggering mechanism which will allow participants to stand two feet away.
- No explosions or air pressure may be used to assist the performance of your catapult.
- The energy used to power the catapult must be provided by the device itself.
- Any type of hurling machine is acceptable: Ballista, Trebuchet, Mangonel, etc.
Each group will be allowed three launches. The best launch will be used as your score. The longest launch wins.
Five Most Recent...
- Students Promote Anti-bullying Awareness with Flash Mob
- Pasco Culinary Arts Students Compete for Cinderella’s Favorite Dessert
- Pasco Students Go on Odyssey of the Mind
- Pasco Superintendent Details Concerns About FSA Testing
- Wesley Chapel High to Host Annual College Night
- Cotee River Elementary stages special education games - See more at: http://suncoastnews.com/su/list
- eSchool allowed Pasco Outstanding Senior of the Year to set, reach lofty goals
- Pasco Prep Baseball Season Preview
- Art of Recycling contest returns for 17th year
- Hundreds mourn Land O’ Lakes coach Keppel