Thursday, October 15, 2009
2009 Great American Teach-In: You Make The Difference!
Visit a Pasco County school during National Education Week, November 16-20, 2009, and especially mid-week on Wednesday, November 18 for the Great American Teach-In (GATI), and you are likely to see a myriad of visitors mesmerizing students with their careers, hobbies, and talents. Firefighters, chemists, electricians, actors, magicians, dog trainers, medical personnel, soldiers, bakers, and commercial fishermen are only a few of the community and parent volunteers who have shared their talents and stories with students.
This is the eleventh year Progress Energy and Pasco Schools have partnered to present GATI, part of Pasco Schools’ annual American Education Week celebration. It’s a special opportunity for parents and community members to visit the public school of their choice and share talents and skills with a new generation. Your story can spark the imagination of students and excite them to explore new possibilities!
This year’s GATI event is scheduled for Wednesday, November 18, 2009. Opportunities are available from 8 a.m. to 3 p.m. Volunteers can stay for an hour or for the whole day! The amount of time is determined by the volunteers’ schedules and what teachers want to accomplish. Whatever the length of the visit, volunteers make a difference! Thousands of previous Teach-In participants have discovered the experience is truly rewarding.
Here are some Teach-In Tips:
- Plan for 20-25 students per classroom.
- Consider wearing attire appropriate to the occupation, hobby or topic you plan to discuss.
- Keep the student’s average attention span in mind: 10-15 minutes for elementary grades and 20-30 minutes for secondary grades.
- When you arrive at the school, please check in at the front office to pick up your name tag. Someone will greet you and accompany you to the classroom.
- If you plan to bring printed or audiovisual materials, please check with the teacher or school Teach-In Coordinator in advance.
- Do not ask students for personal information, including telephone numbers, email addresses, or home addresses.
To get involved and register, please contact the school of your choice as soon as possible and by November 11, 2009. School names, locations, and contact information can be found on the Pasco County School District website. School personnel will be happy to help you to have a wonderful GATI Day! For general information, contact Randee Williams, Supervisor, Volunteer Programs, at firstname.lastname@example.org
or 727-774-2203, 813-774-2203, or 352-524-2203.
Please plan to join us for GATI. The kids will love you for it! Thank you in advance for your generous contribution of talent and time to help make GATI 2009 the best ever!